Table of Contents
Overview and History
Amla the indian gooseberry is one of the most valuable medicinal fruit in the traditional Indian medicinal system. Amla has been a prominent member of healthcare since the ancient Asian times. This Indian gooseberry has been studied extensively and is alone or, in combination with other preparations, is used to treat a wide range of diseases. There are tremendous benefits of consuming amla (gooseberry) juice over eating raw, the amount and potency of constituents increase in liquid form and is easy to intake .Some sources suggest that the vitamin C content in amla is higher than the all known fruits in the plant kingdom. Amla juice health benefits is a great traditional Indian medicinal beverage. Amla has an important place in Ayurveda and is used to treat many diseases for thousands of years. It is the best source of vitamin C (478.56 mg/100 ml), tannins, alkaloids, phenolic compounds, and minerals.
It has a great capacity for scavenging free radicals; many studies revealed the incredibly high antioxidant properties of amla amongst a range of medicinal plants. Ayurveda is an ancient Indian treasure and has presented the importance of every part of the amla plant with various healthcare benefits. The Traditional Knowledge Digital Library offers classical knowledge of various formulations of amla that are known for ages such as Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, and Sowa Rigpa.
Amla juice Health Benefits (gooseberry) :
1.Powerful Antioxidant: Gooseberry (Amla) juice is a rich source of vitamin C, which is a natural antioxidant. It is a natural nutritious drink provide by its high vitamin C content along with iron, phosphorus, and calcium. Being a strong natural antioxidant can also aid in fat loss and weight management.
This research reveals that amla is a potential nutraceutical candidate in the food industry as it is a rich antioxidant source .
2. Boosts immunity: Gooseberry(Amla) juice is also known as an immunity booster. It promotes the count of white blood cells and enhances the disease-fighting capacity of the body against the pathogens and resistance to common viruses and flu.
3. Treat Respiratory diseases: It is also a beneficial tonic for improving respiratory ailment conditions such as bronchitis, asthma, and tuberculosis. It is also known for the longest time as a treatment for cough and flu symptoms.
4. Treats Eye disorders: Amla juice mixed with honey is known to do wonder to the eye. Treats ocular disorders viz. conjunctivitis, glaucoma, and ocular hypertension. The carotene in amla helps to improve the eyesight.
5.Enhances Cardiovascular ability: It is also wonder juice for restoring heart health by removing the harmful causative agents. Improves heart conditions and reduce cholesterol level.
The use of an FDA approved antioxidant Capros® Amla extract oral supplement for the treatment of cardiovascular disease has been published by the Journal of Medicinal Food. .
6. Anti-inflammatory action: Reduces inflammation for both acute and chronic disease models and removes inflammatory compounds from body, it also act as a natural painkiller.
7. Act as a Blood Purifier: It is also a blood purifier and removes harmful toxins from the blood, promotes RBC,WBC production.
8. Anti-cancer Properties: It obstructs the growth and spread of cancer or tumour-causing cells and has a radio and chemo modulatory action.
A study published by the Integrative cancer therapy reveals the potential anti-inflammatory benefits of amla on lungs. The study also suggests the regulation of the signalling pathway and treatment efficiency of amla extract on cancerous lung lesions. Another study suggests the use of amla to increase the therapeutic efficiency of anti-cancer medicine and also to minimize the negative effects induced by these drugs.
9. Goodbye to bad viruses and organisms: Has anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties also helpful in protecting from ulcers, healing wounds as well as it also detoxifies the body.
10. Memory enhancer: Regular consumption of amla juice enhances the mental health and concentration of the brain activity of an individual by increasing the blood flow in the brain. It protects the brain from neurodegenerative diseases and keeps the brain healthy.
11. Amla juice Promotes hair growth and pigmentation: The protein and amino acid profile in amla helps prevent balding and greying of hair. It is used in a range of products as a remedy for dandruff.
12. Diabetic control– Amla is rich in flavonoid content; the study reveals that Quercetin is a potential natural candidate for anti-diabetic drugs. Another study suggests the use of amla extract for reducing the cholesterol level in diabetic patients and the abnormality management of the endothelium.
13. Liver cleanser: Restores liver function and damage caused by alcohol consumption and reverses cirrhosis to some extent.
14. Get a younger glowing skin: Applying amla juice soaked in cotton provides anti-aging benefits to the skin. Stimulates the production of procollagen, tightens the skin, oxidizes melanin in the skin, and closes the open pores.
15. Works at cellular level: Gooseberry juice also protects against the DNA damage and heals damage caused by heavy metals.
Amla consumption has shown beneficial effects on mitochondria function activation, energy production by utilizing the auxiliary respiratory capacity. The study also suggests the protective effect of amla on cells against harmful stimulus or exposure to oxidative stress.
16. Facilitates Digestive aid and hormonal balance: If taken on an empty stomach in the morning, amla juice clears the digestive system, aids in digestion, enhances fertility, treats menstrual cramps, and helps in the absorption of calcium in the body.
17. Alleviate joint pain: Osteoarthritis is a common disease that affects the joints, causes pain and swelling in them, and restricts the movement. This study focuses on the benefits of Amla extract as a chondroprotective agent for the management in the joints.
Precautions while using Amla(Gooseberry) juice:
1.May cause increased risk of bleeding– if you are prone to bleed from nose or any part of your body then be cautious while consuming it.
2. Can facilitate a decrease in sugar level– If your sugar levels are below base line then restrict it’s consumption it may cause a sudden drop in sugar levels.
3. High dose intake can cause skin dryness-If you are having a dry skin or a skin disorder like psoriasis or eczema then it might flare up your symptoms.
4. Avoid medicinal use during pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding – Do not consume gooseberry juice in high amount if you are pregnant because the effects on new born are unknown.
5. Avoid drinking at night time– It might be problematic to digest it and might cause flatulence and make your stomach upset if consumed in night.
Amla (gooseberry) is undoubtedly a powerhouse of nutrients. It is known in Indian culture since the vedic era. Now scientists have studied its potential benefits on everything from cancer to anti-aging benefits. Amla has been a chief ingredient in a variety of classic Ayurveda formulations like “Triphala” which is an herbal formulation known since ancient Indian medicinal system. Looking at all the amla juice health benefits above, one must definitely add this healthy and nutritive fruit juice to their diet.
- Lipozene Review (A-Z): Natural Fat loss miracle - August 13, 2020
- 15 Amazing Fenugreek Oil and Extract Benefits(No-8,9 are shocking) - August 2, 2020
- 8 Best Post Workout Meals (Gain Muscle|Timing|Science) - July 28, 2020