Table of Contents
- 1 Introduction
- 2 What exactly is lipozene, and what are its ingredients?
- 3 Glucomannan the fat cutter compound
- 4 Glucomannan benefits and therapeutic advantages
- 5 Some facts and tips about lipozene
- 6 Lipozene/Glaucommanan Dosage
- 7 Precautions while consuming Lipozene (glucomannan)
- 8 Side effects of glucomannan
- 9 Reviews from consumers and online forums
- 10 Interactions with other drugs
- 11 Alternatives-(Natural and supplemental)
- 12 Controversies and Lawsuits Filed against Lipozene
- 13 HealthHalt Conclusion and Takeaway
Fat loss supplements and pills are in the industry for around two decades which claim to be the most effective and the safest option to increase fat loss, but the consumer and science has witnessed that most or 90% of those are scams and just another marketing gimmick to put the consumers into the web of purchasing the product. Companies and the pharmaceutical industry are flooded with thousands of the fat loss or weight reduction supplements that claim explicitly to reduce X amounts of kilograms from your body weight. But one supplement which gained abrupt popularity was lipozene.
In this article, we will dig deep into lipozene and review it from the perspective of studies, consumers and negative opinions around this magic supplement. Yes you heard right lipozene truly has stood out from the crowd of vague supplements and truly is a standalone supplement in the market as of now that commits to do what it claims when it comes to fat loss or weight loss.
What exactly is lipozene, and what are its ingredients?
Lipozene is a trademark and a product name given to a fat loss supplement, Its name is derived from lipo meaning fat and lipozene meaning removing fat from the body. Following are the claims of the product.
- Clinically proven to help you lose weight!
- Still eat your favourite foods.
- No change in exercise required.
Those are some big and unbelievable claims of a product; these claims are most likely the dream of any overweighed or a person with extra fat. These claims are far better than undergoing liposuction surgery procedure and spend thousands of dollars and take a risk. It is because of these claims this product got so much hyped up ; reason being you just have to sit down eat whatever you like and just take this magic pill and boom.. you lose fat.
They even claimed when compared to placebo, with no lifestyle change, meaning they were not told to diet or exercise 78% of the weight that was lost was pure body fat!
To investigate deeply, we need to look at all of its ingredients:
It contains glucomannan, gelatin, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium silicate, stearic acid, titanium dioxide and FD&C Blue(colourant). Out of all the above ingredients except glucomannan, none facilitates or has shown to promote fat loss directly or indirectly and are mostly used as a thickening agent, bulking agent and colourants. This leaves us with glucomannan the gracious gift of god natural for fat loss.
Glucomannan the fat cutter compound
Glucomannan is a plant-based fibre. It is derived from the roots of the amorphophallus konjac plant, which is also known as elephant yam and so is a 100% natural fibre. The glucomannan makes what lipozene is all about, as it is a clinically proven fibre and has been studied a lot. What makes it unique is its water absorption ability which transforms water into gel just like a jellybean. Just like water gel beads made from polyacrylamide, we used to play with in childhood. We used to put them in water for overnight, and the next day they used to fill full.
In the same way glucomannan’s action of fat reduction takes place, which is when the capsules dissolve in the stomach, the plant fibre activates in aqueous medium and creates a feeling of fullness in the stomach for an extending period as it can expand up to 200x by size (water weight) when in water. This makes you eat less and thus helping you control a significant amount of calorie intake, which is the fundamental way of weight or fat loss and that too without the use of any harmful hormones or stimulants.
A secondary action in facilitating fat loss is, it stays in your digestive system for an extending time leading to less absorption of nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats). This also leads to a lesser amount of calories intake by your body and rapidly decreasing your weight.
Glucomannan benefits and therapeutic advantages
So now that we are crystal clear on which compound is the god’s gift for fat loss; Now we need to get a tunnel vision into this compound and look at the benefits and therapeutic advantages it carries for fat loss and general health.
1.Diet suppression and satiety – This is the primary role of glucomannan in decreasing your body weight as discussed earlier that this plant-based fibre has the capability to swollen in water. Creating an environment in the stomach where the person feels a sense of fullness and tends to eat less and gets satisfied easily with a small portion of the meal. This is the best attribute as one can control his bad habit of binging on crappy food.
The following two studies also show the capability of glucomannan in appetite control and weight loss
Appetite Control- 
Glucommanan vs other fibers- 
2. Weight loss- A significant amount of weight loss was noticed, which was primarily due to the above reason for consuming fewer calories in subjects by providing them with glucomannan. Many studies       have revealed the benefits of this compound and a very few divert from the fact, i.e. they show little or no weight reduction/fat loss. Following is a line graph showing the amount of fat loss (weight) in subjects
Some studies also suggest that little to no effect on weight or fat loss was observed while using glucommanan   .But despite all the above adding Exercise to your glucommanan usage may significantly improve your weight loss process.
This study even showed a positive impact on fat loss for people who were genetically disposed of (having Polymorphism) to carry fat weight from birth, it also shows how glucomannan’s long term dose reduced their blood glucose, lipid profiles while increasing their metabolism.
3. Improve Gut health – Glucommanan also showed its benefits   in improving your gut health which is so vital in correcting your metabolism, bowel movement and remove toxins from your body. It works by killing, removing the harmful bacteria andincreasing the microbial colonies (good bacteria) andby creating an optimal environment for them to grow by releasing some enzymes and acting as a prebiotic for gut flora.
Apart from this, glucomannan will also help in relieving constipation, improving bowel transit time and maintaining healthy bowel movements.
4. Lesser calorie and nutrient absorption- The secondary action for weight loss is the factor of lesser nutrient and calorie absorption. When the konjac plant fibre is in your gut, it hinders your guts absorption ability to absorb 100% nutrients from the food (fats, proteins, carbohydrate, vitamins & minerals). Which makes an abrupt and rapid weight reduction in individuals, but this is also a downside of glucomannan which is discussed in later part (side effects).
5. Blood sugar and insulin maintenance– insulin play a significant role in stimulating your body fat; a compromised insulin and blood sugar level can ruin your diet, exercise and hard work and hence consuming glucomannan also control your diabetes , blood sugar and insulin spike. So individuals who are sensitive to sugar spikes and are stubborn with sugar obsession can try glucomannan to unlock its benefits because of the lower rate of food absorption, the following two studies show the blood sugar and insulin maintenance activity of glucomannan.
This study  even showed that in a woman with PCOS and insulin resistance, when given glucomannan and inositol in combination is an excellent therapeutic practise for treatment.
Even though lipozene (glucomannan) may help in maintaining your blood sugar levels, but that does not imply you should replace it with your diabetic medications. One should always consult your doctor before taking or replacing any medicines if you have diabetes or any heart-related disease.
6. Maintain your cholesterol, blood pressure, and heart health- Three of the things are interrelated to each other .One can ruin the other two attributes. So it is equally important to maintain these, an overweighed person is already at risk of having a heart disease which is due to a bad profile of cholesterol and blood pressure. Glucomannan has shown to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) levels and even increase good cholesterol (HDL) levels by including some exercise regime, which in turn helps in maintaining your blood pressure and heart health  .
7. Anticancer and disease preventive properties– Cancer and tumours are the most prevalent diseases in western countries. Bad diet, obesity and bad lipid profiles are influencing cancer and many other disorders. Glucomannan does have anti-cancer and anti-tumour properties . A recent study has shown the anti-tumour mechanism of glucomannan in subjects. This study also shows how it prevents one from arterial sclerosis, which occurs with old age.
Some facts and tips about lipozene
These facts are science-based and are collaboratively collected based on consumer reviews from online forums and websites.
1. Lipozene vs placebo – Consumers and studies show that when compared to other fat loss supplements lipozene (glucomannan) has shown significantly better results in terms of overall fat/weight loss.
2. Best results with changes in diet– Consumers and studies also showed that the best results were obtained when exercise and diet changes are involved in addition to lipozene (glucomannan) use.
3. Most conveyed positive views after consuming lipozene (glucomannan) from consumers :
- Significant Weight loss
- Effectively control blood sugar levels
- More satiety and Hunger control
- Increases bowel movements and lesser constipation symptoms
- LDL cholesterol levels decreased
- Improved insulin resistance , Blood sugar level maintenance especially in PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome)
- Sense of satisfaction and recommendation to family and peers
Why lipozene is taken before meals? It is because it will give a sense of fullness, satiety before Meals and you will eat less. Whatever portion you will eat will be absorbed less as the glucomannan is already present in your belly.
An old study showed that. A 1984 study 1 gram of glucomannan took before meals helped obese people lose an average of 5.5 lbs over a period of eight weeks this study even instructed the subjects not to change their diet or add any extra exercise regime, So this is the power of glucomannan, Because the FDA does not approve Lipozene for any condition, there is no standard dosage for it. Users and companies have come up with a variety of doses. A doctor’s recommendation is always a sure step if you do or do not suffer from any condition.
A baseline daily dosage of glucomannan for optimal weight loss is 1 g, 3x day, taken 1 hour before meals. There are some others which recommend higher doses, ranging from 3.6 to 13 g/day, which was recommended for managing other diseases such as type 2 diabetes, insulin-resistance, and high LDL cholesterol levels. Such doses can be and are taken by consumers to achieve more weight loss but are on a higher side of the baseline and may result in harsh side effects.
Lipozene^TM recommends you to take 2 capsules of Lipozene 30 minutes before a meal with at least 8 ounces (230 ml) of water. Which contains a total blend of 1500 mg, Out of which 90% approx is glucomannan which is 1350 mg so now 1350 X3 is 4 gm of dosage daily, which is near to baseline and can be taken with minimal to no side effects. This should be taken three times per day for a maximum of 6 capsules spread throughout the day. Here the timing is the most crucial factor, as glucomannan doesn’t affect weight loss unless it’s taken before a meal 30 mins-1 hr before.
Here we would like to add a recommendation which is to consume a natural thermogenic supplement like green tea extract, caffeine, root extracts to maximize your fat loss and increase your metabolic activity there are many supplements in the market
metaboUP plus is of the same manufacturer Lipozene and is recommended by the company to be taken along with lipozene to maximize fat loss –following are its ingredients
Green Tea Leaf Extract (50% Polyphenols), Guarana Seed Extract (22% Caffeine), Caffeine, Oolong Tea Leaf, Kola Nut Extract (10% Caffeine), Cayenne, Platycodon Root Extract 10:1 952 mg
Total Caffeine 120 mg
Fillers and colorants-Calcium Carbonate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Croscarmellose Sodium, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, PEG, Micronized Wax.
DO NOT USE IF PREGNANT OR NURSING, KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Consult a health care professional before using this product if you have, or have a family history of heart disease, thyroid disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, depression or any other psychiatric condition, seizure disorder or if you are taking any prescription or over-the-counter drug(s). Do not exceed the recommended dosage. Discontinue use and consult a medical doctor if you experience any unusual symptoms
Using both of the Lipozene (glucomannan) and a thermogenic fat loss supplement will create a synergistic effect complementing each other and leading to the best fat loss results.
Precautions while consuming Lipozene (glucomannan)
You need to consider the following precaution if you are likely to consume Lipozene (glucomannan) for your fat loss or other goals.
1. Taking this product without adequate fluid might be risky and will not affect too much on your weight loss, Water amount of 250 ml Along with the pill or powder is recommended, and your body should be consuming water throughout the day.
2. Life threatening if powder taken alone – glucomannan comes in two forms mainly pill or powder, if powder alone is consumed without adequate fluid it may cause to swell and thereby block your throat or oesophagus causing choking and loss of breath. Do not take this product if you have difficulty in swallowing. If you experience any chest pain, vomiting, or difficulty swallowing or breathing after taking this product, seek immediate medical attention.
3. Excess dosage- If too much of glucomannan is consumed at once may also lead the same side effects and complications as mentioned above. Always take it under the recommended or advised dose by your physician.
4. Suddenly including a lot of fibre -in your diet can cause digestive distress and problems like gas, cramps and increased bowel frequency.
5. Other precautions to consider
- Effectiveness may vary depending on the dose and other additives
- Check for the purity of glucomannan
- Not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women
- May cause blood pressure or sugar levels to drop too low
- May lower the effects of diabetic drugs
- It may interact with other drugs
Side effects of glucomannan
There is no generic drug or food supplement that does not come with side effects and so does Lipozene (glucomannan) looking at many reviews and studies we have come up with the following side effects and danger’s that came into play after consuming glucomannan.
- Swelling- This is the first and foremost side effect that states if glucomannan taken in larger quantities can result in swelling up in your gut/other ingestion tracts causing a lot of problems which might be shortness of breath, Difficulty in swallowing. One Professor form the University of Toronto even stated if taken in larger amounts of 20 gm to 30 gm at once your gut will explode but it is an extreme case. I believe no one on this planet will consume that amounts of dose in a single go; we have to keep in mind that consuming more does not imply more result in this case.
- Gut problems– General gut problems like stomach discomfort, diarrhoea and constipation were observed in some subjects and consumers. Abdominal pain was another issue stated by individuals to tackle this problem; one must start by consuming one or two doses daily and gradually increase it to three doses daily.
- General problems – These included occasional heartburns, headaches, nausea, vomiting, bloating, fainting and other reactions to the compound all of these were more prevalent when the individual was facing gut issues, and most of these are indirectly due to gut problems and were dose-dependent.
- Malnutrition-There were many cases in which frequent Bowel movements that had symptoms of the large intestine not absorbing fat. Because of less absorption due to presence of glucomannan and its secondary working mechanism, this can also lead to non-absorption and deficiencies in vitamins A, D, and K, hence lesser duration of consumption of glucomannan is recommended 6-8 weeks.
- WEAKNESS –This is due to the fact that lesser calories and nutrient absorption will definitely make you weak and lethargic; this might be temporary but can cause long term effects.
- Hepatitis and presence of impurities –Glucomannan has low toxicity levels and is well tolerated. Though, in one case, glucomannan has caused severe hepatitis, which means there might be a presence of impurities, which may even cause liver cirrhosis, kidney damage
Now, this issue is debatable and depends on the source and vendor of glucomannan.
Reviews from consumers and online forums
Most conveyed Negative reviews after consuming lipozene (glucomannan) from consumers:
- Rushing to the restroom after consumption
- Stomach pains
Some severe cases even faced Gall bladder issues, kidney stones. This might be a case of lack of insufficient liquid intake or might be due to some other condition they already had.
On the other hand, there are a ton of complaints about Lipozene. The number of reviews on Amazon is filled with more negative than positive there were 40% 1-star reviews. So does that make it a scam product? well absolutely no because there are many reasons people do not have patience, do not follow dosing have little to no exercise added into the routine and still eat a lot of crap foods. One has to understand that fat loss does not occur overnight, and a single pill standalone will not do the magic. But there are some instances where people with no diet or exercise intervention have realized its weight loss effects.
Interactions with other drugs
If you’re taking any medications for an already existing condition, like diabetes such as sulfonylureas, insulin, then you should consult your doctor before taking Lipozene (glucomannan). In general, Lipozene (glucomannan) will interact with any medication when taken orally; Because It may reduce the absorption of the drug and leading to lesser effectiveness and might worsen your condition.
Taking supplements without any advice from your doctors or physician might be life-threatening and may cause fatality especially if you are suffering from a condition and taking medications
Glucomannan has shown to modulate blood sugar and blood pressure, hence if you are taking medications for these conditions they might interact with glucomannan these include :
- Insulin shots
- Omega 3
- Resistant starch
- Adiponectin regulators
- Calcium channel blockers.
Hence these medications must be taken with a gap of at least 1 hr before Lipozene (glucomannan) or 3-4 hrs after its consumption.
Alternatives-(Natural and supplemental)
Talking about natural food alternatives for glucomannan is very less and is present in tiny amounts in large quantities of food. One can surely add these to their diet but cannot fulfil the recommended daily doses for fat loss benefits; these include shirataki noodles, Pasta and some special grain flours.
Now we know, the potential benefits of Lipozene /glucomannan (which are the same thing), which means you could buy an, cheaper alternative of glucomannan supplement. Still, you need to check the purity and source of glucomannan. Obesity Research Institute LLC designed Lipozene as a weight loss pill and has the trademark for its use. Apart from that, many other companies own patents of some unique blends which contain glucomannan as an active ingredient with other thermogenic ingredients like garcinia cambogia, green tea, hydroxy citric acid etc. with different compositions in one pill. Which can be a better option for both convenience and price-wise.
These companies include (80) granted IP assets in a total containing glucomannan for fat loss these might be commercially available or not
Vitacost.com (some fat loss supplements are available on their website, which is cheaper than Lipozene and has glucomannan other ingredients for fat loss.)
Do the math before buying any of the supplements because they get expensive when you follow their 6-8 weeks program.
Controversies and Lawsuits Filed against Lipozene
Consumers have filed complaints against the LIPOZENE company due to their risk-free trial, both to the BBB and in online consumer forums. They said after putting their credit card details they order a trial, but after cancelling the order, they did not cancel and sent them new bottles of Lipozene. The FTC has received more than 300 complaints from consumers regarding this scenario.
The Lipozene have also made some other false claims like It is assembled and made in the USA but in actual the konjac root origins from Africa and it does not follow GMP guidelines.
“For all these reasons, TINA.org urges the FTC to reopen its investigation of Obesity Research Institute and take appropriate enforcement action” TINA.org said in its letter.
But the obesity research institute replied “We stand by the claims made in our advertisements as truthful and not misleading,” and they Do follow good manufacturing practices (GMP)
HealthHalt Conclusion and Takeaway
There still does not exists any fat loss pill that will make you lose weight overnight, but in comparison to other scam and vague products in the market, glucomannan clearly shows result based on studies and user experience when compared to placebo. You can take any glucomannan supplement not specifically lipozene and along with a thermogenic supplement; to increase your fat loss. Healthhalt also recommends adding some physical fitness routine and exercise and some dietary changes to make out the full benefits of glucomannan supplements.
The reason for hate and negativity about Lipozene in the market is solely because of a large variety of reviews on the internet. The reason behind this is some people who are not too overweight tend to lose weight/fat after utilizing most of the fat loss products and have reached a saturation point where they need to change their eating habits and add exercise. Glucomannan works wonders for overweighted individuals, especially if this is their first step towards weight reduction.
The reviews mentioned in this article are of Lipozene or glucomannan users, who may or may not have a medical condition or may follow an exercise regime or diet program. Healthhalt does not promote any brand or compound like Lipozene, glucomannan Neither recommends any.
- Lipozene Review (A-Z): Natural Fat loss miracle - August 13, 2020
- 15 Amazing Fenugreek Oil and Extract Benefits(No-8,9 are shocking) - August 2, 2020
- 8 Best Post Workout Meals (Gain Muscle|Timing|Science) - July 28, 2020